The Branyon Current Chronicle

The Branyon Current Chronicle

Friday, December 21, 2012

Potty Fun??

So, this week I spent potty training John Parker.  All I can say is Whew.  This is wayyyy harder than I thought it would be!  Made me think, "are diapers really that bad???"  But then I remember the fortune we are spending every few weeks on diapers for two babies, and the enormous amount of non-biodegradable waste that we get rid of daily, and it doesn't seem so bad again.  He is doing well now, but still having a couple of accidents per day, and I'm still having to take him to the potty every 45 minutes or so to prompt him to go... In a word, exhausting.  Just a little recap of what I did so I can remember when the time comes with Liam...

Day One...
I was really pumped up and ready for the adventure.  I had been planning this for weeks, knowing this was a week I would get to be off all week and really be consistent, so it was kind of like the first few miles of a marathon... I was excited, he was excited, I knew the accidents were inevitable... Bring it on, pee pee!  For about two months prior to this week, we have been letting John Parker use the potty several times a day (before bath, after bath, first thing in the morning, etc) and rewarding him when he went just to get him used to using the potty, so I knew he would go.  The part I didn't expect was just how many accidents he would have.  I put on the cotton "big boy underwear", gave him lots to drink, set my phone timer for 15 minutes, and every time it went off, we went to the potty.  He was excited the first few hours, but by the end of the day, I had taken him every 15 minutes like clockwork and he had still had 7 accidents in his big boy underwear.  I was a little disheartened, but knew I had to push ahead to teach him to stay dry for longer periods of time...

Day Two...
This is the day I would like to forget!  It was horrible!  He didn't seem to have any better grasp on the concept of staying dry, I was still taking him every 15 minutes, and because of the monotony of it, both of us were getting bored with it.  I was no longer feeling the energy to do the whole song and dance every single time, and he was getting whiney and complaining every time we went, so it became a chore - and honestly I felt like I spent all day Tuesday in the bathroom... I would put him on the potty, he would argue and complain and try to get up, I would give in then 5 minutes later he would have an accident and we would be back on the potty... Thank God Liam took two 2 hour naps or I don't know how I would have done it!  By the time John got home from work, I was in tears and was ready to give up and put the diapers back on.  He had already had 7 accidents at 4pm and I told John he was going to have to take over the potty chore for a while.  Well, of course, something seemed to click - maybe it got more interesting when daddy got home and started doing it - but he didn't have another single accident the rest of the day and we were taking him every 20 minutes.

Day Three...
I had renewed hope.  The last few hours of day two had spurred on a new energy that we COULD DO THIS!  All day, I took him every 30 minutes and he didn't have a single accident.  Wednesday night, we went caroling with church, and he rode the bus with the big kids and only went every hour - and still, no wet pants!  I was so excited!  Maybe he had finally gotten it!

Day Four...
One accident in the early day (I stretched out to taking him every 40 - 45 minutes and I think I just waited a little to long), but two more accidents when we went over to eat dinner at Nana's house.  I don't know if he was just distracted, or maybe I was distracted... but two accidents.  So, needless to say, I was a little discouraged, but still hopeful that we are on the right track.

Day Five...
Here we are.  He's had 4 total accidents today.  The first two, he came and told me he was wet and was very upset; when I put him on the potty, he peed some more, so obviously he stopped himself from completely voiding in his pants, a good sign.  The second two accidents, we were out and about finishing up last minute Christmas shopping/eating out and over at my parents.  Again, I think it was a little bit of distraction on my part and his.  We have stretched it to taking him every 45 minutes or so... It still seems like if we wait a whole hour he's had an accident.  I'm a little disappointed that he still seems to be having several mishaps each day, but I guess we have to start somewhere.  He is only wearing big boy underwear except for at naps and bedtime, and he seems to not like being wet, so hopefully very soon he will get the concept fully and try to hold it for longer than 45 minutes.  You don't realize how fast that time comes around until your are trying to convince a stubborn child to pee on the potty like clockwork!

I'm soo glad the first 5 days are over.  I feel like I've invested so much into this... I am also stubborn and dedicated so I know we won't go back to diapers.  I just hope he continues to progress forward!  He's such a smart little boy, and I know he will do great, but it was definitely much harder than I thought it would be getting this far.  I didn't even get out of my pajamas the first two days!  I practically lived in the bathroom :)  So, that's how I've spent my Christmas vacation... Hope it's worth it!

Day one... big boy pants (and towel :) )

1 comment:

  1. Santa delivered a potty to Lydia for Christmas! I am not really ready to start officially potty training, but she is interested so I am trying to follow her lead. She actually used it once yesterday and once today. She thinks she is so big! :) She just wants to be like her big sis! Good luck. Let me know any tips that will make the process go faster. :) Lana

    ReplyDelete