The Branyon Current Chronicle

The Branyon Current Chronicle

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

9 months old and counting. . .

Today, John Parker is 9 months old!  I can't believe he is so close to 1 - It's a bittersweet feeling because I absolutely LOVE watching him learn something completely new every single day, but I feel like 12 months is the beginning of the end of the "baby" stage.  He will no longer be allowed to have a bottle, he will be expected to understand "no", and he will be considered a "toddler".  I remember last year at Thanksgiving, when I was very pregnant and so excited to begin my new life with a new baby - little did I know just how much he would change my life.  HE IS AMAZING, and I thank God for him every single day.

Yesterday, I had to take him to the pediatrician (a day before his scheduled 9 month well check) because he started running a fever the night before.  For the first time in his 9 months of life, he refused his nighttime bottle.  For the past week, he has been not wanting his afternoon bottle.  We get him to take 4-6 ounces of it, then he simply refuses to take the rest.  I was wondering if he was trying to ween himself from the bottle a little early, but a little concerned because I know he still needs at least 20 ounces of breast milk or formula every day.  Then, Sunday night, he only drank about 1 1/2 ounces of his nighttime bottle - and when we had gotten him ready for his bath just before bedtime, he had a temperature of over 101, his very first fever.  I figured something was up, so I decided to take him to the doctor when he woke up with a temp of 101.5 - and knew he was sick when he wouldn't even let me put him down to take a shower.  Turns out he has a double ear infection and according to the pediatrician, is getting all four top teeth at once.  Not a good combination for my little sweet pea's sunny disposition.  He's only had one other ear infection at around 6 months, so I'm hoping this doesn't become a regular occurrence.  Last night, he took about half of his afternoon bottle and about 5 ounces of his bedtime bottle, so he did better, but hopefully he will go back to drinking his bottles when his ears clear up.

Now, for the good stuff.  He weighs almost 20 pounds (19 lbs 12 oz) and is in mostly size 12 month clothing and size 3 diapers.  He is still nursing when he wakes up around 8am, he eats a bowl of instant oatmeal (a whole serving!!) for breakfast at 930am, lunch at 12 - 1230 consists of a stage 2 veggie and a stage 2 fruit with a couple of ounces of juice, a 6-8 ounce bottle at 4pm, a dinner of one stage 3 baby food (protein/veggie) and one stage 2 fruit plus any table food he can manage, and a 8 ounce bottle at 830pm just before bedtime.  Like I said earlier, he hasn't been too interested in his afternoon bottle this week, but I'm not sure if I should attribute that to the painful ears or if he just doesn't want it anymore.  We will take it one day at a time and find out.  I am still nursing in the morning and pumping at bedtime, but I'm starting to lose my supply - it's been a great experience for us though!  He is sleeping from 830pm - 8am and napping at 10am, 1pm, and 4pm for about 3 hours total daytime sleep.  He is starting to walk behind his walker and his push toy - he pushes anything that will go forward and walks behind it, and just this weekend he took his first steps alone!! He stands alone for a few seconds at a time, and if I had to guess, I would say he will be walking before 10 months rolls around.  He loves to eat table food - I mean LOVES it. I've given him several types of pasta, potatoes, some soft steamed veggies, yogurt, oatmeal, and pretty much anything I can get to a soft consistency.  He chews now, so love watching him eat! He begs for our food during dinner, even when I know he's full, and while he gets small bites, he is so animated, saying "MMMMMM" with each bite. He loves to clap, and he says "haay dar" (hey there) while waving, "duuuh" (duck) in the bathtub, "daw" (dog) while pointing at our dog Dandy, "baw" (ball) when he's playing with his balls, "aaayyyy" (yay) while he's clapping, and of course still "da-da" (all the time!).  He has said "ma-ma" a couple of times but mostly likes those "D" sounds. Sometimes he will wave bye-bye, but he mostly waves hello - and he likes to be stubborn about it - he only does it when HE feels like it!  Life is so much fun, and I want to cherish every moment.
John Parker hanging out with Ava Wynne at Buy Buy Baby

Pushing his Little People Truck



No comments:

Post a Comment