John Parker turned 4 months old last week on June 22nd. I can't believe 4 months have already passed and I wanted to remind myself of all the milestones we reached during the 3 month old stage :)
Bedtime:
Our routine consists of a long bath at 945 (which he LOVES - no matter how cranky he is, he is always happy in the bath), and John feeds him a bottle of pumped breastmilk and rocks him to sleep sometime between 10 and 1030. He takes between 6 and 6 1/2 ounces at bedtime. He has been sleeping all night (10 or 1030pm to 8am) since he was around 3 months old. Sometimes he cries out in his sleep around 530 or 6am and we just pop his paci back in and he goes right back to sleep. We moved him to his nursery just after he turned 3 months; I just wasn't ready before then :) Sometimes he wakes up around 7 or 730am and we bring him to our room and put him in his bassinet again where he falls right back asleep until 8 when I'm ready to feed him. After I nurse him at 8am, he snuggles up to me and lays on my chest for 5 or 10 minutes until he falls back asleep, and he rests in his bassinet in my room while I finish getting ready for work. I usually get him up around 845 to get him ready for the babysitter's. He is so precious in the mornings, cooing and smiling and my absolute favorite time of the day are those precious few moments right after I feed him when he snuggles up to me. He's nonstop the rest of the day and doesn't like to snuggle much anymore, so I cherish those 10 minutes.
Napping:
He naps around 4 hours a day (if we're lucky) - usually 1 1/2 hours in the morning, 1 1/2 hours in the afternoon and another few catnaps in the evenings. If he doesn't get his two long naps early in the day, we are in for a cranky baby in the evenings. Sometimes he fights his naps, but mostly that happens when he didn't get a good nap in the day and is overtired in the evenings. He usually goes right down for naps at the babysitter's house; sometimes naps are harder for me and daddy!
Feeding:
He is eating 6 ounces of breastmilk when he takes a bottle - he took 5 1/2 ounces up until around 3 1/2 months, then started wanting a little more, so we increased to 6 ounces and he does great! When I'm off (Thursdays and Sundays), I nurse him 5 times a day, and when I work I nurse him in the morning first thing, he gets a bottle around 1130 and 330, I nurse him between 630 and 7, and he gets a 6 - 6 1/2 ounce bottle at bedtime. Some days he spits up more than others, but for the most part he seems to do well with his feeding routine. I'm not planning to start any solids until 5 months or later if he's still satisfied, but we will see what the pediatrician says about that when I take him tomorrow.
Milestones:
He rolled over from front to back twice in one day at around 3 1/2 months and can do that consistently; he holds his head up very well when on his stomach, and he can sit supported. He has very good head control, which has improved immensely over the last two weeks, and he can do the "tripod" sit for a few seconds at a time. He tries to "scoot" when he's on his tummy - mainly because he hates tummy time so much, but he's so active, he'll probably be trying to crawl before we know it! He also loves to watch Nick Jr (Wonderpets, Bubbleguppies, etc) for a few minutes at a time. When they sing a song, he kicks and smiles and absolutely loves it!
Overall, he is a very content little fellow, with a very type-A little personality already! He has an occasional "meltdown", mainly if he's overtired from lack of naps, and he fusses sometimes if he's bored. He's getting to the age now where he wants to be stimulated a lot more, and he is only satisfied with one thing for about 10 minutes at a time. We are going to have to invest in some new toys soon! He is precious and I love him more and more with every day - I never thought it was possible to feel love for another human being like I do for him :) I can't wait to keep watching him grow!
No comments:
Post a Comment