The Branyon Current Chronicle

The Branyon Current Chronicle

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Baby Liam and Milestones...

Liam is now 6 weeks old!  He is basically doing all the things newborns do - eating every 3 hours like clockwork, sleeping some in between, and peeing/pooping ALL THE TIME!  Right before he was 5 weeks old, he started really smiling!  It's so amazing to see that first real smile - all the hard work we do as Mamas to keep up with feedings, etc seems so unappreciated until that first little smile pops up; then it finally seems like I am loved in return!

Weight: according to my at-home method of getting on the scale with him, he's just over 12 pounds!  He's a big boy - he's REALLY long, so I'm interested to find out his length at his two month check up:)

Clothes: 3 month and 3-6 month - a few 6 month outfits have fit too; they are a little roomy on him, but I'm trying to work in all John Parker's clothes from last summer!  It's awesome he has been able to wear them because John Parker was between 4 and 6 months old when he wore them!!

Diapers: size 1 - about to run out of those and move up to size 2!

Eating: nurses every 3 hours during the day; goes one 4 - 5 hour stretch during the night (11pm - 3 or 4 am); usually eats 9 times/24 hours!  We gave him a bottle of breast milk at 4 weeks, just to introduce a bottle and make sure he would take it.  He did great and took about 4 ounces, but we haven't done any more bottles (mainly because I HATE pumping and would much rather nurse him) - I will probably start a nighttime bottle of breast milk this weekend to see if we can get a longer stretch of sleep with consistent milk intake just before bed!  And I have to work the next two Saturdays, so Daddy will have to give a bottle then, too...  I go back to work full-time in two weeks :( so he will get two bottles of breast milk a day, 4 days a week at that point...  Guess I'm just trying to hold off as long as possible with exclusively nursing him!  I enjoy that bond so much :)
Getting his first bottle

Notable observations:
*Rolls over from tummy to back (has done this multiple times - at least 6 or 7 times - but it could be a fluke!)
*Smiles (started around 5 weeks)
*Very sensitive skin - we have had to only use Pampers Snugglers and Sensitive wipes - the few times I've tried other things he's gotten a terrible diaper rash - and after switching to the Sensitive wipes, it's finally cleared up!  JP didn't get a diaper rash until 9 or 10 months old, so that's been a new one for me!
*Fussy in the evening between 930 and 10 - at 10 I give him a bath and he settles down until I feed him at 11 or so.
*Homebody...  He is definitely more content and happy at home.  The times we've been away from home, he is fussier and less content - he doesn't nap well, etc.  He's also already a "mama's boy" and wants to be held primarily by me.  In theory, I love this - but sometimes I want to play with JP or just have a break so it's nice when he lets someone else hold him without fussing!  This seems to be getting better...
*Sounds congested while eating and for about 30 minutes after a feeding; Doctor says as long as no fever or other symptoms, it's normal! Just very strange and seems like it would bother him - but doesn't look like it really affects him!
*Loves his swing!  Probably 75% of his naps happen in the swing.  I have tried laying him down for naps but he rests so much better and for longer periods in the swing, so right now, I'm not going to worry about it!  I'm trying to take it one day at a time with Liam and not worry in advance like I did with John Parker.
*Overall, he's a very content baby.  He seems to get a little fussy about 30 minutes before time to eat and when he's tired or has a dirty/wet diaper.  Other than that, he rarely fusses and is a joy to take care of!  I hope he adapts well to the sitter in a couple of weeks!  I will certainly miss him AND his big brother :( But on the other hand, I am so blessed to have a good full time job that I enjoy and a great private sitter to take care of my boys.  And a little adult interaction will be nice too :)
sweet brothers:)  I love these babies!!

No comments:

Post a Comment